Why does Pilates professionalism matter?
There is one international third party organization whose sole purpose is to professionalize the industry, the Pilates Method Alliance (PMA).“Its purpose was to provide an international organization to connect teachers, teacher trainers, studios, and facilities dedicated to preserving and enhancing the legacy of Joseph H. Pilates and his exercise method by establishing standards, encouraging unity, and promoting professionalism.”
The PMA plans to do this by elevating Pilates teacher training standards from a registry of schools to a more vetted list of approved schools. This new list will require ample documentation and approval of best practices for Pilates Teacher Training. One thing that Anne really took away from the Summit was– Just because you can teach clients does not mean you also have the skills to nurture and teach the next wave of Pilates professionals. The PMA approved schools will phase in by June 2017.
As a student we want you to benefit from a professional experience because
- Your body is exercised safely. Your safety is our utmost concern. We teach your body, not anyone else’s. This takes maturity and a keen eye in a teacher. It takes letting go of ego (of the teacher) and working with the body in front of you.
- You work out on all the Pilates equipment. Yes we all love the reformer but Joseph and Clara Pilates developed a system of movement. If you just practice on the Pilates Reformer who are only doing 1/8 of the work. The others include mat, Cadillac, Chair, Ladder barrel, Arc barrel, Spine corrector, Ped-a-pull not to mention a plethora of smaller props.
- You are treated ethically. We will not teach outside our scope of practice, meaning we will try to sell your products or diets just to make more money.
- You are treated professionally. You won’t be jerked around by non-responsive teachers.
- You get your money’s worth. Pilates is not cheap, so choose a studio wisely that upholds professionalism.
- You get results. PMA-CPT’s are tested on student progression and how to get you moving beyond your expectations.
- You get an education! When you come to our studio we don’t just want you to work out we want you to learn about your body and how to take care of it for the marathon of life!